The first misconception some people have is that these functions can only be done with the “Premium” or “Workgroups” editions (depending on the version or country). This is wrong. The Premium version does have some additional options, but even the standard ACT! by Sage product can do both.
As always, I recommend that users speak to a Certified Consultant before commencing your implementation, especially with database design and setting up synchronisation and learning how to get the most out of ACT!
Setting up the database server:The usual place people need to start is with setting up ACT! on a “server” – that is, the machine that will host the ACT! database. In a small environment (< 5 users), this may be a user’s machine.
Note: ACT! is a client/server product. That means the full application MUST be installed on system hosting the database locally.Usually, one of the questions a user will as is “What sort of server does ACT! need?” Well, that depends on a number of factors that you should provide to your consultant to determine this:
- How many ACT! users will there be?
- How many on the LAN
- How many via Web (if any)
- How many remote (if any)
- Will you have a server?
- If yes, will the server be dedicated to ACT! or shared with other services?
- If shared with other services, what services and how busy are they?
- Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
- Install ACT! from the CD
- Update ACT! the latest patch for your version. You can download any patches from here
- Restore from Selective Start-up Mode with MSCONFIG
- Open ACT! - Create, upgrade or Restore_As your database
- Share the database as per ACT! KB 13878
If you need to set up sync to share your data with remote users (external offices, laptops, smart phones), please see Part 2